International Honors Programs (IHP) are unique within SIT’s portfolio. In one semester, you’ll deeply examine a single issue, such as climate change, healthcare, or human rights, in four cultural contexts on four continents.
Explore how social innovation and entrepreneurship emerge, develop and evolve drawing on the disciplines of anthropology, management, development, economics, and design.
- Learn about innovative strategies addressing critical issues in education, agriculture, environment, health, and social and financial inclusion to further positive social change.
- Investigate case studies and meet with social innovators, activists, and local individuals seeking systemic change.
- Examine how digital tools, indigenous technologies, and frugal innovation can be used to disrupt patterns of poverty.
- Discover the cultural, political, and socioeconomic elements that create the most fertile conditions for innovation and social transformation.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
Key Topics of Study
- What social innovation is and why it is needed
- Best practices and criticisms relating to social innovation and entrepreneurship
- How and why innovation emerges in different contexts and what issues are being addressed
- Innovative tools, strategies, and models that claim to address issues relating to education, agriculture, environment, health, and social and financial inclusion
- How technology and design can further and hinder social transformation
- What design thinking is and how it might be used for systemic change
- The social impact of these organizations and who beneficiaries are
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- The SIT Pell Grant Match provides matching grants to all students receiving Federal Pell Grant funding when it is applied to an SIT Study Abroad semester program.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad